You are browsing the site of a past edition of the AIES conference (2023). Navigate to present edition here.

General Travel Information

It’s important that you educate yourself on Canada’s entry requirements in advance so you are prepared.

What you need will depend on where you are from, how you are travelling, and what documents you are travelling with.

Travel and identification documents for entering Canada

Make sure you carry proper identification for yourself and any children or minors travelling with you. You must be able to confirm your legal right or authorization to enter Canada at the border.

International visitors to Canada

COVID-19 Emergency border measures have ended

All international travellers must carry acceptable identification and a valid visa (if necessary) when entering Canada. A passport is recommended because it is the only reliable and universally-accepted travel and identification document for the purpose of international travel.

International transport companies, such as airlines, must make sure that travellers have proper, valid travel documents. If you do not have the proper documents, you may be delayed or refused entry into Canada. What you need will depend on where you are from, how you are travelling, and what documents you are travelling with. Consult entry requirements by country.

When you enter Canada, a border services officer will ask to see your passport and a valid visa, if you are arriving from a country for which one is required. Visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website to learn more about what travel documents are required.

Citizens of the U.S. who are members of the NEXUS program may present their membership card as proof of identification and as a document that denotes citizenship, when arriving by air (when coming from the U.S.), land, or marine modes.

All visitors arriving from or transiting through the U.S. are encouraged to visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website for information concerning the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, and the requirements to enter or return to the U.S.

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Visa-exempt foreign nationals need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada.

Exceptions, or visa and eTA-exempt foreign nationals, include:

  • U.S. citizens
  • U.S Lawful Permanent Residents
  • travellers with a valid Canadian visa
  • Other exceptions

Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents do not need to apply for an eTA.

Certain low-risk foreign nationals from select visa-required countries may also travel to or through Canada by air using an eTA through the eTA expansion program.

Be prepared: Apply for an eTA before you book your flight to Canada. Most applicants get approved within minutes. However, some applications can take several days to process so don’t wait until the last minute.

Travellers who apply for an eTA are advised to be cautious in all dealings with companies that claim to offer help in getting an eTA. These companies are not operating on behalf of the Government of Canada. Many have established websites that charge a fee to provide information and submit eTA applications.

This Government of Canada website is the official place to apply for an Electronic Travel Application.

*Disclaimer: The information contained in this document is for general informational purposes only. Cross Connect Customs & Event Logistics Inc. is not responsible for the content of this information and is being provided free of charge. The use of this document is at the discretion of the end user.